So what's hydration got to do with your teeth? Xerostomia, commonly known as a dry mouth, is a condition in which the salivary glands in the mouth do not produce enough saliva. Saliva keeps the mouth moist and cleanses it of bacteria. A lack of it, makes for an uncomfortably dry mouth that is also more susceptible to infection and disease.
- Dryness or a sticky feeling
- Frequent thirst
- Burning sensations or redness in the throat or on the tongue
- A sore throat or hoarseness
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, or tasting food
A dry mouth can commonly be associated as a side effect of certain medications or medical conditions, but can also be caused by damage to the salivary glands because of injury or surgery.
- Stay Hydrated
- Chew sugar-free candy or gum
- Add moisture to your living spaces
Although these are just a few general tips about xerostomia, if you are experiencing the symptoms of a dry mouth often and it is interfering with your life, call our dental office at 918-455-0123 for an appointment.